Origin of C++
1) C++ is an expanded version of C.
2) C++ is an Object-Oriented Programming Language. It was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at AT&T Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA in 1979.
3) C++ has borrowed many features from other programming languages like
- commenting Style — BCPL,
- many features of C
- Class with derived classes and virtual functions — Simula 67
- Operator Overloading — Algol 108
- Templates and Inline Functions — Ada
4) Originally it was called as "C with Classes". In 1983, it was renamed as C++.
5) C++ is case-sensitive language.
Use of C++
- C++ is used by thousands of programmers in essentially every application domain.
- C++ is being highly used to write device drivers and other software that rely on direct manipulation of hardware under real-time constraints.
- C++ is widely used for teaching and research because it is clean enough for successful teaching of basic concepts.
- Anyone who has used either an Apple Macintosh or a PC running Windows has indirectly used C++ because the primary user interfaces of these systems are written in C++.